April 20, 2014 @ 11:54
Fedora is an awesome distro, but it lacks a bit polish to be usable work and pleasure desktop out of the box. Follow these 5 easy steps to make a perfect Fedora desktop. Please also share how you make your Fedora install perfect.
1. First step is updating the whole system, and is the one I hate the most, so let’s just get over with it…
sudo yum update -y
2. Now let’s install Fedy tool that lets you tweak lot’s of additional things fast, streamlines installation of software and tweak and is really simple to use:
su -c "curl http://satya164.github.io/fedy/fedy-installer -o fedy-installer && chmod +x fedy-installer && ./fedy-installer"
3. Fedy has also a nice gui, but once you get to know what it can do it is faster to do all things via command line:
sudo fedy --exec sublime_text touchpad_tap rpmfusion_repos media_codecs skype_linux tor_browser adobe_flash nautilus_dropbox teamviewer_linux
4. Now let’s install some additiona goodies, and use dnf tool instead yum because it is much faster:
sudo dnf install synapse faience-icon-theme clipit vlc qbitorrent krusader filelight k3b-extras-freeworld redshift-gtk htop lm_sensors filezilla @cinnamon-desktop xchat pidgin
5. And best for last, compile and install tilda which is just best terminal ever:
sudo dnf install git automake libconfuse-devel vte3-devel gtk3-devel glib-devel gettext-devel gcc
git clone https://github.com/lanoxx/tilda.git
sudo make install
That is is, just don’t forget to switch to Cinnamon as your default desktop next time you login and change icons to Faience icons. Enjoy your perfect Fedora desktop!